Here are some Pacific Zen Institute members who are painting, writing, dancing, or otherwise creating their way towards freedom, with the bright, fierce, gentle assistance of koans.
Lee Allen–painting and textile arts
Rachel Boughton–sculptor, writer
Jesse Cardin–musician and writer
Dane Cervine–poet and essayist
Amaryllis Fletcher – violinist
Corey Hitchcock–interdisciplinary artist, fiction and essay writer
Michael Hofmann–sculptor and sumi-e painter
Asa Horvitz–contemporary performance, musician
Sacha Kawaichi–poetry, jewelry, and visual arts
Alok Hsu Kwang-Han–calligraphic painter
Christopher Lods–painting and drawing, musician
Dennis Peak– painter
Jackson Randall – musician, poet
Amy Elizabeth Robinson–writer and poet
John Tarrant–writer, poet, calligrapher
Rene Thomas–artist and poet
Resources on Creative Mind
From our PZI creatives, we gathered this short and extremely, inherently incomplete list of resources that have provoked and inspired the creative process. We hope you find something provocative or inspirational in here, too:
- David Abrams, Becoming Animal
- Heather Angel, photography
- Jane Bennett, Vibrant Matter: Towards a Political Ecology of Things
- Robert Bosnak, Embodiment: Creative Imagination in Medicine, Art, and Travel
- Ray Bradbury, Zen in the Art of Writing
- Brainpickings–a website from Maria Popova, “an inquiry into how to live and what it means to lead a good life.”
- butdoesitfloat.com, a continually fascinating collection of art, design and images from the curators of Cargo Collective.
- Teju Cole, Known and Strange Things: Essays
- Draw It With Your Eyes Closed: The Art of the Art Assignment (Paper Monument)
- Edward F. Edinger, Anatomy of the Psyche: Alchemical Symbolism in Psychotherapy
- e-flux Journal–a monthly art publication featuring essays and contributions by some of the most engaged artists and thinkers working today.
- Alan Fletcher, The Art of Looking Sideways, in which a great designer attempts to document everything he never learned in school (it’s a lot, and a lot of fun).
- James Hillman, The Dream and the Underworld
- Jane Hirshfield, ed., Women in Praise of the Sacred: 43 Centuries of Spiritual Poetry by Women
- Lewis Hyde, The Gift: Creativity and the Artist in the Modern World
- Austin Kleon, Steal Like an Artist
- John Daido Loori, The Zen of Creativity: Cultivating Your Artistic Life
- John Shaw, photography
- Viktor Shklovsky, Bowstring: On The Dissimilarity of the Similar
- Social Medium: Artists Writing, 2000-2015 (Paper Monument).
- Christa Wolf, Cassandra: A Novel and Four Essays